What is all this "U" stuff and how are teams formed?

"U" stands for Under (U8 is under-8). Players are assigned to divisions based on their birth year. For U10 and below, every attempt is made to divide teams into similar
mixes of ages and sexes.

What kind of ball does the player need?

U5, U6, U7 and U8 use a size 3 ball; U10 and U12 use a size 4 ball; U14+use a size 5 ball.

What about shoes?

Recreation League layers do not have to wear cleats, tennis or gym shoes are permitted. If the player does wear cleats the rules specify that the cleats must be 
"soft cleated soccer shoes".  When purchasing shoes make sure to get a soccer cleat as baseball/softball and football cleats are made differently.
Cleats are required for all Travel League players.

What about shorts, socks, shin guards and shirts?
  • U06-U10 Recreation League - RLSA supplies team t-shirts; players need to have a pair of shorts, socks and shin guards.  
  • U06-U10 Recreation League - Socks must be worn over the players shin guards. 
  • U06-U10 Recreation League - Black game shorts and socks are preferred but not required. 
  • U12-U19 - RLSA supplies jerseys and shorts; players need to have their own royal blue game socks. 
  • U12-U19 - A $65 uniform deposit is required and the deposit check will be returned after the uniform is turned in at the end of the season.

We don’t want to travel and would rather just play kids in the area. 

Travel League:  Without the ability to play teams from others areas your child (U111/I12+) would have no one to play games against. At the U12 and U15 level internally

we may have one or two teams at each level. In order to have games to play, we must be able to travel to surrounding areas. The schedule provides a balance of games

that are home and away much the same as a school sports schedule at the middle and high school levels. Teams work successfully to make transportation arrangements

so that no child is left out if he/she is unable to schedule a ride to get to a game.

Recreation League:  All games are held at Moon Lake Park against other teams in the RLSA.

When are the games?

Travel League:  Games are usually played on Saturdays throughout the season. A master schedule is developed and followed as closely as possible. Each team is provided with a schedule

and as a club we work very hard to let you know what that schedule will be as early as we can. Each of the games that your child plays will follow WYSA youth rules governing substitutions,

penalties, game length and team rosters. Typically all games include three paid referees: a center referee and two line referees.

Recreation League:  Games are played on Mondays and Wednesdays during the normal practice time.

What will I need to provide for my child?

Travel League: Your child will need to have a ride to and from practice two nights a week. Additionally there will be games on Saturdays with one or two tournaments scheduled in addition to the regular scheduled games.

Tournaments provide an opportunity to stay overnight but are not required as most are within 150 miles of Rice Lake. Your child will be provided with a uniform which you will be responsible for returning to your team manager

at the end of the season.The only way we can continue to do this, is by you returning the uniform in the shape you received it. Uniforms are to be worn only for games!! The only other equipment needs are cleats

(optional), shin pads, and socks which can be purchased from the club. At the U12 and U14 level the team’s socks need to match.

Why do we play in tournaments/jamborees?

Tournaments provide an outlet to travel and are an important way to test a team’s skills against a wider set of opponents. Coaches can use tournaments as a way of establishing goals for the season (e.g. a team builds

up all season using regular season games to prepare for the tournament.) Our club hosts a jamboree providing a balance of travel and home. Historically our association has participated in tournaments/jamborees in

the Hayward, Ashland/Bayfield and the Minneapolis St Paul suburb areas.